144-Hour Visa-Free Transit at Beijing Capital Airport
From December 28, 2017, the visa-free transit policy has been implemented by Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province. The policy applies to citizens from 53 countries who hold valid international travel documents, and a passenger ticket for connecting travel to a third country (region) with confirmed seats and a departure time within 144 hours at Beijing Capital International Airport(PEK).
The Flow to Apply for 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit at Beijing Capital Airport(PEK)
1. Inform the carrier when you boarding
2. Fill an Arrival/Departure Card
3. Apply for the 144-Hour stay permit upon arrival
4. Leave Airport to visit Beijing, Tianjin or Hebei Province
5. Back to Beijing Capital Airport in 144 hours
6. Claim the luggage(If needed)
7. Go through the cutoms
8. Check in your next flight and leave
Documents Needed for Application
1. Passport valid for at least 3 months from the date of entry
2. Ticket to a third country
3. Fully completed Arrival/Departure Card
Terminal 3: opposite to Gate 11 on 2F arrival hall in Terminal 3-E
Terminal 2: Joint Inspecation in 2F arrival hall
(86) 10 56095400
Europe (39 nations): Belarus, Monaco, Austria, the Kingdom of Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, and Albania.
The Americas (6 nations): the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Chile.
Oceania (2 nations): Australia and New Zealand.
Asia (6 nations): South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.
According to the Ministry of Public Security regulations, individuals who do not hold a valid Chinese passport and who apply for 144-hour visa-free transit status should meet the following requirements:
I. They must be citizens from one of the 53 eligible countries specified, and hold valid international travel documents certifying their nationality and identity;
II. They must have a valid passenger ticket for connecting travel (including an airplane ticket, ferry ticket or train ticket), to a third country or region. The ticket for travel must specify the traveler has a confirmed seat and that the departure time is within 144 hours of arriving at the Beijing Capital International Airport; Beijing West Railway Station; Tianjin Binhai International Airport; Tianjin International Cruise Home Port; Hebei Shijiazhuang International Airport; or Qinhuangdao Harbor. Or he/ she must possess relevant supporting documents.
III. Eligible travelers can choose to enter or depart through any port at Beijing Capital International Airport; Beijing West Railway Station; Tianjin Binhai International Airport; Tianjin International Cruise Home Port; Hebei Shijiazhuang International Airport or Qinhuangdao Harbor, and travellers must stay in the administrative areas of Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei.
After document examination and verification is conducted by the border authority at the port of Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijing Daxing International Airport or Beijing West Railway Station, applicants who meet the above requirements will be issued with a temporary entry permit which will enable them to enter and stay in Beijing, Tianjin or Hebei for 144 hours according to regulations.
1. Citizens who do not hold a Chinese passport and who have successfully applied for 144-hour visa-free transit can stay in the administrative areas of Beijing, Tianjin or Hebei for up to 144 hours. Failure to comply with the terms of the visa-free transit will be punished according to relevant regulations.
2. Individuals travelling on the 144-hour visa-free transit and staying in a hotel or accommodation other than hotels (including the self-purchased house, rented house and borrowed house) in China are required to register their temporary residence according to law. Those who stay in a hotel in China are required to check in and adhere to the hotel’s check in and personal identification protocol. Those who stay in accommodation other than hotels are required to register their temporary residence with the local public security facility within 24 hours of arrival, either in person, or by the person who is providing the accommodation. Registration is required at every residence that the individual stays in during the 144 hour visa-free transit. If an individual changes residence multiple times, he/she is required to register with the public security facility for each place of residence where he/she is staying, within 24 hours of arrival.
1、How is the duration of the 144 hour visa-free transit policy calculated?
The duration of stay as referred to in the 144-hour visa-free transit policy will begin from 00:00 o'clock the following day, after entry in any port at Beijing Capital International Airport; Beijing West Railway Station; Tianjin Binhai International Airport; Tianjin International Cruise Home Port; Hebei Shijiazhuang International Airport or Qinhuangdao Harbor.
In accordance with the 144-hour visa-free transit policy, from 00:00 o'clock he following day after entry in Beijing, he/she will be allowed to stay for six days in Beijing, Tianjin or Hebei without an entry visa.
2, If citizens from any of the 53 designated countries eligible for the 144-hour visa-free transit policy do not hold a valid connecting travel ticket to a third country; can he/she apply for 144-hour visa-free transit?
According to the regulations pertaining to the 144-hour visa-free transit policy, any applicant must hold a valid connecting passenger ticket for travel, with confirmed seats, and a departure time within 144 hours of arrival in Beijing, or he/ she must possess relevant supporting documents. The applicant must have these documentations before applying for the144-hour visa-free transit.
3, If citizens from any of the 53 designated countries arrive in Beijing with a valid ticket for travel to their country of origin, with a confirmed seat and with a departure time within 144 hours of entry to Beijing, would he/she be eligible for the 144 hour visa-free transit policy?
The policy applies for 144-hour visa-free transit rather than visa-free entry. Therefore, the applicant should transit to a third country or region to be eligible for this policy. Travelers returning to their country of origin would not be eligible for this policy.
4, What kind of punishment will be imposed on those who have successfully applied for the 144-hour visa-free transit but have stayed in China for more than 144 hours when they depart from Beijing Capital International Airport?
According to the relevant regulations of the Exit and Entry Administration Law of the People's Republic of China, individuals who do not hold a valid Chinese passport and are suspected of illegal residence in China will be warned. In case of gross violation, the offender will be fined RMB500 per day for illegal residence, not exceeding RMB10,000 in total, or he/she will be detained for 5-10 days. Anyone who violates the relevant laws and regulations for the 144 hour visa-free transit policy may not be accepted for future applications for visa-free transit.
5, Who can I contact with enquiries regarding the 144-hour visa-free transit policy?
For questions relating to the 144-hour visa-free transit policy, including handling of entry and departure procedures, please call the 24-hour hotline (86) 10 56095400
6、Where can I find FREE LEFT LUGGAGE SERVICE?
To offer convenience to 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit passengers, Beijing Capital Airport will provide free left luggage service. With their temporary entry permit, passengers can enjoy the free service (one piece of luggage) in the luggage counter of the airport.
Passengers who need the service can apply for it in the luggage counters within the terminals. The counter between the Gate 8 and Gate 10 in Terminal 2 and the counter on the east of Exit A of the arrival hall of the second floor of Terminal 3 will provide this service.